Book Discussion Groups in Neighborhood Libraries
Neighborhood libraries in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island host regular book discussion groups led by trained facilitators. The groups are open to anyone who loves to read and discuss books. Locations and dates (most groups meet monthly) are listed here. Please call the individual library to verify this information. Pre-registration is required for most groups.
2049 Asch Loop North (at Bartow Avenue entrance to Co-op City) 718-379-6700
310 East Kingsbridge Road (at Briggs Avenue), 718-579-4244
Book Lovers Circle meets last Wednesday of each month at 10:30 a.m.
Tertulia Literaria meets last Monday of each month at 6–7:30 p.m. / Participar en una Tertulia Literaria lunes a las 6–7:30 p.m.
- January 25 — El Coronel no tiene quien le escriba by Gabriel García Márquez
- February 29 — Así es como la pierdes by Junot Díaz
- March 28 — El prisionero del cielo by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- April 25 — La casa de los espíritus by Isabel Allende
- May 23 — El libro de los americanos desconocidos by Cristina Henríquez
- June 27 — Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago
- July 25 — De cómo las muchachas García perdieron el acento by Julia Alvarez
- August 29 — Los reyes del mambo by Oscar Hijuelos
985 Morris Park Avenue (between Radcliff and Colden Aves.), 718-931-0636
Meets Mondays at 6 p.m.
- January 5 — Snow Flower and Secret Fan by Lisa See
- March 8 — Chateau of Secrets by Melanie B. Dobson
- May 10 — The Perfect Witness by Iris Johansen
- June 7 — The Storyteller by Picoult Jodi
- August 16 — One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
291 West 231st Street, 718-548-5656
Meets Wednesdays at 6 p.m.
- March 16 — Some Luck by Jane Smiley
- April 20 — The Color of Water by James McBride
- May 18 — On Such a Full Sea by Chang-rae Lee
- June 15 — Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
1988 Westchester Avenue 718-829-7830
Meets Tuesday evenings once per month at 6:30 p.m.
- January 19 — God Help the Child by Toni Morrison
- February 16 — The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
- March 15 — Someone Is Watching by Joy Fielding
- April 19 — Brother I’m Dying by Edwidge Danticat
- May 17 — The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
- June 21 — The Precious One by Marisa De los Santos
2147 Barnes Avenue (near Pelham Parkway South), 718-829-5864
Meets Mondays at 12 p.m.
- January 25 — The Secret History Of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore
- February 22 — The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- March 21 — Silent House by Orhan Pamuk
- April 18 — Songs Of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford
- May 16 — Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast
- June 20 — My Struggle, Book One by Karl Ove Knausgard
- July 18 — Twilight Of The Eastern Gods by Ismail Kadare
- August 15 — My Old Neighborhood Remembered by Avery Corman
5540 Mosholu Avenue (at W. 256th St.), 718-549-1212
Meets Wednesdays at 1 p.m.
- January 20 — The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- February 17 — The Piano Lesson by August Wilson
- March 16 — Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- April 20 — Chronicle of A Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- May 18 — Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead
- June 15 — The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
- July 20 — A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing by Eimar McBride
- August 17 — The Wright Brothers by David G. McCullough
660 Soundview Avenue (at Seward Avenue)
650 W. 235th St. (at Independence Ave.), 718-796-1202
Meets Tuesdays at 1 p.m.
- March 8 — Elsewhere by Richard Russo
- April 12 — The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton
- May 10 — Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- June 14 — Howard's End by E. M. Forster
1866 Washington Avenue (at E. 176th St.), 718-299-5177
Meets Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
2521 Glebe Avenue 718-863-0436
4355 Katonah Avenue (at E. 239th St.), 718-519-9627
Meets the second Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m.
- January 12 — Dead Wake: The Last Crossing Of The Lusitania by Erik Larsen
- February 9 — The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier
- March 8 — Nora Webster by Colm Toibin
- April 12 — Fallen Angel by Daniel Silva
- June 14 — Under Magnolia by Kate Morton
- July 12 — The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
127 East 58th Street (between Park & Lexington Aves.), 212-759-7358
Meets the second Wednesday of every month.
- January 13 — The Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
- February 10 — The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- March 9 — Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- April 13 — Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- May 11 — The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
- June 8 — Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
- July 13 — Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
- August 10 — Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
328 East 67th Street (near First Ave.), 212-734-1717
Meets Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m.
112 East 96th Street (near Lexington Ave.), 212-289-0908
Meets Thursdays at 6 p.m.
- January 7 — essays (to be announced)
- February 4 — Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow
- March 3 — All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
- April 7 — Short stories (to be announced)
- May 5 — Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
- June 2 — The Invisible History of the Human Race by Christine Kenneally
115th Street Library 203 West 115th Street, 212-666-9393
Harlem Heights Reading Circle meets Wednesdays
- January 20 — Ruby
- February 24 — The Sellout
- March 23 — Capital Dames
- May 25 — Half of a Yellow Sun
- June 22 — X: A Novel
150 West 100th Street (between Amsterdam & Columbus Aves.), 212-222-8030
33 East Broadway (near Catherine St.), 212-964-6598
Meets Saturdays at 2 p.m.
742 10th Avenue (between 50th & 51st Sts.), 212-586-5098
Meets Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m.
- January 20 — The Bees by Laline Paull
- February 17 — Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- March 16 — The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- April 20 — Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
- May 18 — Someone by Alice McDermott
- June 15 — God Help the Child by Toni Morrison
104 West 136th Street (near Lenox Ave.), 212-491-2070
Book Chat meets on the third Wednesday of the month, 6-7 p.m.
Teen Book Discussion Group Meets Wednesdays at 5 p.m.
- January 20 — Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifkin Brunt
- February 17 — I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- April 20 — In The Unlikely Event by Judy Blume
- May 18 — Reunion Of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
- June 15 — Senator And The Socialite by Lawrence Graham
- July 20 — Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
- August 17 — God Help The Child by Toni Morrison
228 East 23rd Street (near Second Ave.), 212-679-2645
Meets Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
- January 26: Euphoria by Lily King
- February 23: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- March 29: The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
- April 26: The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma
- May 31: Ruby by Cynthia Bond
- June 28: A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren
- July 26: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- August 30: The Children Act by Ian McEwan
535 West 179th Street (between St. Nicholas and Audubon Avenues) 212-927-3533
- February 6 — The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- March 5 — Paper Towns by John Green
- April 2 — A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- May 7 — Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- June 4 — Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann
135 East 46th Street (between Lexington & Third Aves.), 212-621-0670
Book Discussions meetsthe third Tuesday of every month from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- January 6 — The Martian
- February 8 — Orange Is The New Black
- March — The Secret Life Of Bees
- April 1 — Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns)
66 Leroy Street (off Seventh Ave. South), 212-243-6876
Meets Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
- January 9 — Euphoria by Lily King
- February 13 — Colorless Tskuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
- March 12 — In Praise of the Stepmother by Mario Vargas Llosa
- April 9 — Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- May 14 — Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
- June 11 — The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League by Jeff Hobbs
- July 9 — Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche
4790 Broadway (near Dyckman St.), 212-942-2445
Meets Wednesdays at 7 p.m.
- January 6 — Them by Joyce Carol Oates
- February 10 — My Struggle: Book One by Karl Ove Knausgaard
- March 9 — What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver
- April 6 — The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham
- May 4 — Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
- June 8 — The Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- July 6 — Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
425 Avenue of the Americas (at 10th St.), 212-243-4334
Meets Thursdays at 4:30 p.m.
446 Third Avenue (at E. 31st St.), 212-683-2520
Meets Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
- January — Everything I Never Told You
- February — Girl at War
- March — The Children Act
- April — Still Life With Bread Crumb
- May — And the Mountains Echoed
2900 Broadway (at W. 113th St.), 212-864-2530
Meets the second Thursday of each month, from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- February 11 — Kindred by Octavia Butler
- March 10 — See Now Then by Jamaica Kincaid
- April 14 — The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl
- May 12 — Our Auntie Rosa by Sheila McCauley Keys
- June 9 — The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
10 Jersey Street (between Lafayette & Mulberry streets) 212-966-3424
- January 27 — Empire of Cotton: A World History by Sven Beckert
- February 24 — The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy
- March 30 — The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
- April 27 — The Martian by Andy Weir
- May 25 — Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
- July 27 — Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
- August 31 — The Primates of Park Avenue: A Memoir by Wednesday Martin
209 West 23rd Street (near Seventh Ave.), 212-924-1585
Meets Thursdays at 6 p.m.
9 Murray Street (between Broadway and Church streets) 212-732-8186
127 Amsterdam Avenue (at W. 65th St.), 212-870-1810
Meets the first Wednesday of the month at 3:30 p.m.
- January 6 — The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
- February 3 — The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
- March 2 — The Black Count by Tom Reiss
- April 6 — Go Tell It On the Mountain by James Baldwin
- May 4 — State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- June 1 — Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- July 6 — The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- August 3 — The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
524 Main Street, 212-308-6243
- January 21 — Forever by Pete Hamill
- February 18 — Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku
- March 17 — Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez
- April 21 — I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
- May 19 — Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman
- June 16 — Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman
444 Amsterdam Avenue (near @. 81st St.), 212-621-0619
Meets the last Monday of the month at 4:30 p.m.
- January 25 — The Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
- February 29 — Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin
- March 28 — A God In Ruins by Kate Atkinson
- April 25 — Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- June 6 — Home by Toni Morrison
- June 27 — Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne wakatskui Houston
- July 25 — The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
- August 29 — Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
- January 21 — The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
- February 18 — The Inventions Of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- March 17 — The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
- April 21 — The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- May 19 — Canada by Richard Ford
- June 16 — The Supremes At Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsey Moore
- July 21 — The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty
- August 18 — The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas
1000 St. Nicholas Avenue (at W. 160th St.), 212-923-6054
1465 York Avenue (near E. 78th St.), 212-288-5049
Meets Thursdays at 6 p.m.
- January 7 — The Storied Life Of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- March 3 — The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon
- May 5 — Whipping Boy: The Forty-year Search For My Twelve-year-old Bully by Allen Kurzweil
- July 7 — Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
222 East 79th Street (between Second & Third Aves.), 212-744-5824
Meets every third Monday of the month at 1:30 p.m.
Book Discussion on the first Saturday of every other month at 11 a.m.
- January 9 — Eliot Ness by Douglas Perry
- February 6 — Darned If You Do by Monica Ferris
- March 5 — French Pastry Murder by Leslie Meier
- April 2 — Miracles by Eric Metaxas
- May 7 — Dead Wake by Erik Larson
- June 4 — Death Wears a Beauty Mask by Mary Higgins Clark
- July 9 — A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- August 6 — Shunned and Dangerous by Laura Bradford
309 New Dorp Lane, 718-351-2977
Book Discussion on Fridays 2:30 p.m. Spanish "Grupo de Lectura y Discusión" on Mondays 4:30 p.m.
- January 22 — The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
- February 19 — The Assistant by Bernard Malamud
- March 18 — The Warden by Anthony Trollope
- April 8 — The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway
- May 20 — The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
- June 17 — Lila by Marilynne Robinson
5 Central Avenue (near Borough Hall), 718-442-8560
Meets Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
- January 16 — Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- February 13 — The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
- March 12 — The Devil In The White City: Murder, Magic, And Madness At The Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson
- April 9 — Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
- May 14 — The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway 1899-1961